[Samba] smbclient (Samba 4.9.4) "Unable to initialize messaging context"?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Dec 21 08:54:19 UTC 2018

Sambadevs,

  I don't know if this is a bug or just a spurious error message when using
smbclient (on a standalone config), but checking smbclient, I get:

02:47 2pi:~> smbclient -U% -Llocalhost
Unable to initialize messaging context

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        samba           Disk      2pi - Law
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (2pi Samba 4.9.4)
Reconnecting with SMB1 for workgroup listing.

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master
        RLFPLLC

What is "Unable to initialize messaging context"?

I see a patch back in July, related to "Fix bug 13465",
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2018-July/129186.html but it
is unclear why the message is still being issued?

Any ideas?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.