[Samba] Samba AD DC replication error - 2, 'WERR_BADFILE'

Martin Krämer mk.maddin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 13:59:52 UTC 2018

Hello everyone,

I have setup two Samba AD DC's with BIND9_DLZ dns backend.

faiserver.example.corp is one of them hosting all FSMO Roles.
location-000001.example.corp is the second one.
Both are in different subnets but can reach each other.
Unfortunately replication only works from faiserver.example.corp ->
location-000001.example.corp.
In the other direction location-000001.example.corp ->
faiserver.example.corp it does not work.
I always end up with error:
----------
*ERROR(<class 'samba.drs_utils.drsException'>): DsReplicaSync failed -
drsException: DsReplicaSync failed (2, 'WERR_BADFILE')*
*  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/drs.py", line 368,
in run*
*    drs_utils.sendDsReplicaSync(server_bind, server_bind_handle,
source_dsa_guid, NC, req_options)*
*  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/drs_utils.py", line 83, in
sendDsReplicaSync*
*    raise drsException("DsReplicaSync failed %s" % estr)*
----------
I have already checked all topics I am aware of related to correct name
resolution (because that was what I found that the error I receive is
related to on the web).
The only interesting thing i found is that running "host -t SRV
_kerberos._udp.example.corp" on faiserver.example.corp prints only the
currend DC while running it on location-000001.example.corp prints both DCs
...never the less I am not sure if this might be a cause or is just another
bad result of the one way sync.
Maybe someone has an idea?

Attached you can find two files (one for each DC) with all information that
I found could be relevant. If further information is required please let me
know.

Thanks for any hint pointing me into the right direction.

Kind Regards

mk-maddin