[Samba] smbclient v3 against samba server v4

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Dec 19 10:46:56 UTC 2018

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 09:31:38 +0000
Andrea Zagli via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> hi all
>
> i'm trying to use smbclient v3 with a samba server v4 configured as ad
>
> with anonymous login it works; but it doesn't using a user
>
> i get NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
>
> the pc isn't in the domain; but i tried from a non domain pc with
> smbclient v4 and it works

I think you have answered yourself, it doesn't work with smbclient v3
(by which, I take it you mean from a Samba 3.x.x version), but it does
with smbclient v4. There have been a great many changes between Samba
3.x.x and now and it is probably at least one of these changes that is
stopping it working.
The only versions that Samba supports are 4.7.x, 4.8.x and 4.9.x, all
others are supported by the OS's

Having said all that, we may be able to help you, if you give us more
info ;-)

What OS is smbclient v3 running on and what is in its smb.conf (not that
the latter should affect smbclient)
What OS is the Samba AD DC running on and what is in its smb.conf.

Rowland