[Samba] Samba 4 with Microsoft Exchange

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Dec 13 15:00:36 UTC 2018

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 15:26:08 +0100 (CET)
Gaetan SLONGO via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Thank you Louis,
>

> Yes, informations are not clear about this and wiki is out of date. I
> Hope a dev will take time to answer.
>

> Gaëtan

I do not think this has changed.

> And on univention i say.
> https://wiki.univention.de/index.php/Software_working_out_of_the_Box_with_SAMBA_4#Microsoft_Exchange
> , which claims it works in their environment.

It says this:

[quote]
Microsoft Exchange

Currently Exchange is running fine in smaller environments.
Tested Version

    Microsoft Exchange 2010 SP1 on Microsoft Server 2008 R2

Tested Features

    Sending and Receiving E-Mails using SMTP
    SMTP and IMAP connection from Thunderbird
    MAPI Connections using MS Outlook
    SSO using Windows 7 Domain Clients

Not Supported Versions

Exchange 2013 SP1 requires the LDAP control LDAP_SERVER_NOTIFICATION_OID which is currently not implemented in Samba 4. This functionality is planned at a later point in time. Until then, the Univention Active Directory Connector can be used to connect Exchange 2013 SP1 with the UCS domain.
[/quote]

The last part is wrong,  LDAP_SERVER_NOTIFICATION_OID was added at
Samba 4.5.0

If you notice, exchange is installed on a windows server. Univention
also uses ldap and proxies to it, so I think that is how they are doing
it.

Rowland