[Samba] vfs_fruit causes delay in listing directories for Windows clients

Ralph Böhme slow at samba.org
Wed Dec 12 15:54:18 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 04:37:43PM +0100, Ralph Böhme via samba wrote:
>On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 03:35:00PM +0100, Stephan Roth via samba wrote:
>>My goal with activating vfs_fruit was to speed up directory listings
>>for Mac clients, which works. Can the accompanying slowdown for
>>Windows clients be avoided?
>
>yeah, I guess so, but somebody has to dig through the relevant
>codepaths for a few days to implement the optimisations.

thinking about it, most codepaths already do avoid special processing if not in
AAPL mode or when not operating on a stream.

There's one exception however: fetching the file creation date from Netatalk
metadata when in "fruit:metadata = netatalk" mode which is the default.

"fruit:metadata = stream" would get rid of this. Check your setup carefully to
decide which mode you need.

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                https://samba.org/