[Samba] AD error 8418: The replication operation failed because of a schema mismatch between the servers involved (WERR_DS_DRA_SCHEMA_MISMATCH)

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Dec 10 12:17:16 UTC 2018

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 12:57:35 +0100
Noël Köthe via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello Matthias,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 18.10.2018, 11:15 +0200 schrieb Matthias Gassner
> via samba:

> > i had this problem to, in my case the the characters in the LDAP
> > paths was not in capital.
> >
> > like:
> > linux: dn=
> > windows: DN=
> >
> > there is no fix as i know, the solution would be remove the linux
> > DC(s) and rejoin them to the Windows DC.
>
> I checked and on Linux the file e.g. below samba/private/sam.ldb.d/
> are uppercase like CN=CONFIGURATION.. or DC=credativ...
>
> but Thanks anyway.
>
> Regards
>
> 	Noël

I don't think that is what was meant ;-)
I think what was meant was that some attributes in AD are in uppercase
on one DC and lowercase on another, this is a known problem and normally
doesn't give any problems. You shouldn't touch the files under
'sam.ldb.d', you should only use 'sam.ldb'

Andrew gave you the best advice (which you seem to have ignored, what
with it being 2 months since you last posted), add a new DC with a
current supported version of Samba (4.9.3 is available here:
http://apt.van-belle.nl/ ), then demote the old DC, see if this fixes
your problem.

Rowland