[Samba] RHEL7/Centos7 with Samba AD

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Dec 6 19:52:50 UTC 2018

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 14:11:53 -0500 (EST)
"Vincent S. Cojot via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I know RHEL has bad press here but I'd like to share a different
> opinion (works for me) and maybe share some of my settings.
> BTW, Those views are my own, not those of my employer.

No, RHEL doesn't get bad press here, but it uses its own tools with
Samba and as such, Samba cannot support these tools, that is red-hats
job. What Samba can do is support its own tools that do the same job.

> I run a small AD at home. The setup is as follows:
> - two AD DCs (RHEL7.6 KVM virtual machines + Samba 4.8.7 rpms based
> on SPECs from TranquilIT/Fedora).
> - several Win10 laptops joined to the domain.
> - several RHEL7.6 clients/Machines running 'realmd' and joined to the
> domain. The AD users can log into those machines and their Linux
> account gets mapped appropriately.

If you install Samba, you get samba-tool & net, both of these will do
more than 'realmd' will.

Rowland