[Samba] Setup a Samba AD DC as an additional DC

Andrew Ruscica andrew.lists at ruscica.com
Thu Dec 6 03:17:00 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 1:24 PM Barry D. Adkins <Barry at daram.com> wrote:

> If only this would have been my problem, yet the _msdcs.my.domain zone is
> in Windows DNS.  Strange we are getting the same error.

*_msdcs.my.domain zone is in Windows DNS*

Being 'in' DNS is not the same as it existing as it's own dns zone.  Up
until my change today, the subdomain _msdcs existed as a subdomain under
'my.domain'.

To double check, show your output from the following command, adapted for
your windows dns server name:

# samba-tool dns zonelist SERVER1 -U administrator

one of the zones returned needs to look like this:

  pszZoneName                 : _msdcs.my.domain
  Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
  ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
  Version                     : 50
  dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED DNS_DP_FOREST_DEFAULT
DNS_DP_ENLISTED
  pszDpFqdn                   : ForestDnsZones.my.domain

Regarding your error with the machine account, I didn't get that, but if it
were me I'd clear the contents of /var/lib/samba/private (or whatever path
for your installation) before attempting the next join.