[Samba] Samba4 Kerberos Authentication Error

Marco Shmerykowsky PE marco at sce-engineers.com
Wed Dec 5 16:33:01 UTC 2018

> On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 10:56:48 -0500
> Marco Shmerykowsky PE via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

>>> Smb.conf (domain names made 'generic'):
>>>
>>> # Global parameters
>>> [global]
>>>           dns forwarder = 4.2.2.2
>>>           netbios name = MACHINE254
>>>           realm = INTERNAL.COMPANY.COM
>>>           server role = active directory domain controller
>>>           workgroup = INTERNAL
>>>           idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>>>
>>> [netlogon]
>>>           path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/internal.company.com/scripts
>>>           read only = No
>>>
>>> [sysvol]
>>>           path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
>>>           read only = No
>>>
>>> [Test-Share]
>>>           path = /home/test-share
>>>           writable = yes
>>>           create mode = 0770
>>>           directory mode = 0770
>>>           guest ok = no
>>>
>>> Windows reported that the machine joined the domain
>>> when I used the windows interface at System
>>> Properties -> Computer Name.
>>>

>> One more tidbit.  I ran the provisioning twice.
>>
>> First time around I used int.company.com and second time around
>> I used internal.company.com.  Did that leave contradictory
>> information floating in the system?
>
> No, provided you removed the smb.conf (and the provision would have
> complained if you hadn't), the next provision would wipe the previous
> one.
>
> This does raise a possibility, The REALM has to be the same as the dns
> domain, so what is the dns domain name ?
> easiest way to find out is to open a terminal on the DC and type
> 'hostname -d', if it isn't 'internal.company.com' then you need to
> provision again.
>
> Another possibility is that you do not have winbind installed.
>
> This probably hasn't anything to do with your main problem, but you
> should change your share to this:
>
> [Test-Share]
>      path = /home/test-share
>      read only = No
>
> When you get your DC working, set the permissions from Windows, see
> here:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Share_Using_Windows_ACLs
>
> Rowland

The Realm matches the DNS.

hostname -d returns -> internal.company.com

domain name is internal.company.com

I can ping both internal.company.com and machine254.internal.company.com
both resolve to the IP of MACHINE254

I checked winbind using the commands on the following page & all
returned as expected.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member#Testing_the_Winbindd_Connectivity

---
https://www.avg.com