[Samba] WinbinD no longer available in Samba 4.7.6

Konstantin Boyandin lists at boyandin.info
Wed Dec 5 02:57:56 UTC 2018

Rowland Penny via samba писал 2018-12-04 17:17:
> On Tue, 04 Dec 2018 16:45:43 +0700
> Konstantin Boyandin via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>

>> Are there possibly missing some winbind settings (the smb.conf has
>> been generated by domain upgrade process).
>>

> Sorry, but I do not believe that is true:

True. The configuration works. I assume that parameters that aren't
applicable to AD DC role, are just ignored, even if mentioned.

>          winbind enum users = yes
>          winbind enum groups = yes
>
> The lines above should only be used for testing purposes, they serve no
> other purpose.

According to the 'man smb.conf', "On large installations using
winbindd(8) it may be necessary to suppress enumeration...". Orus isn't
large installations (number of users and computers taken together is
below 100).

>          winbind nss info = rfc2307
>
> The above line is only any use on a Unix domain member and then, only
> before Samba 4.6.0

That makes sense, set it explicitle to 'template'.

>          dns proxy = no
>
> Really, on a DC that relies on DNS ?

Again, makes sense, set to 'yes'.

>          tls enabled  = yes
>          tls keyfile  = tls/key.pem
>          tls certfile = tls/cert.pem
>          tls cafile   = tls/ca.pem
>          tls verify peer = no_check
>          acl:search = no
>
> They are default settings

Yes, with the mentioned certificate files taken from real-life
certificate for the real-life domain name we use.

>          passdb backend = tdbsam
>
> Big mistake, you have turned off the correct password database.

I assume you are talking about ldapsam. Again, our installation isn't
huge to feel the impact of the passwords backend.

Also, I might get somewhat confused by the 'classic upgrade'
description, where old ldapsam was explicitly disabled in favor of
switching to tdbsam.

>          obey pam restrictions = yes
>
> Useless on a DC
>
>          unix password sync = yes
>
> Extremely useless on a DC, you cannot have Unix users in /etc/passwd
> and AD

Reasonable, set both to default.

>          passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>          passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
> *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:
>          pam password change = yes
>          map to guest = bad user
>          usershare allow guests = yes
>
> Only of real use on a Unix domain member

Thanks, set to default.

> [profiles]
>          comment = Users profiles
>          path = /srv/samba/profiles/
>          browseable = No
>          read only = No
>          force create mode = 0600
>          force directory mode = 0700
>          csc policy = disable
>          store dos attributes = yes
>          vfs objects = acl_xattr
>
> The above is a cut & paste from here:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Roaming_Windows_User_Profiles
>
> The only problem is, it also tells you, just above that block on the
> page, that it doesn't work on an AD DC.

Actually, I used the 'above block' to set the permissions from Windows
system.

Question is, do the above settings actually conflict (I noticed no
problems so far), if I do not attempt to change whatever after the
mentioned permissions change has been performed?

I really appreciate your comments. Pity there are no 'typical' smb.conf
examples for typical roles, such as AD DC.

Sincerely,
Konstantin