[Samba] ldbsearch performance and tuning...

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Wed Aug 29 08:39:20 UTC 2018

Mandi! Andrew Bartlett via samba
  In chel di` si favelave...

> > I'm still on samba4.5, sorry me.
> Fix that first.

Eh... i hope on this year.

> > I've done some (bash) scripting around ldbsearch, but i've found some
> > performance and 'lock' trouble.
> Correct, Samba before 4.7 has very poor unindexed search performance,
> due to a bug.

OK.

> > a) query seems 'slow'. If i user paged result (--paged) coud achive
> >  better performance? It is a 'network' optimization only, right? eg:
> > 	ldbsearch --paged -H /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb ...
> >  is totally unuseful, right?
> Correct, this would just increase the load.

But accessing LDAP data via network (eg, from a DM to a DC), the use of
'--paged' will gain some performance increase?

> > b) in a domain member (so, network queries) i've found some
> > 'ldbsearch'
> >  processes stalled. I was forced to kill them.
> > There's some way to prevent that? Eg, via '--socket-options=' or
> > '--controls=' options?
> I would need more information on that.  Fixing the server to run a
> current Samba would likely fix that.

AFAI've understood, ldbsearch processes stalled sometimes when i'm
doing 'primary' DC (ok, Rowland, the DC with FSMO roles ;-) backup with
Louis script.

I do the backup only on the DC with FSMO roles, and only the DM that
'hit' that DC seems have ldbsearch processes stalled.

Thanks.