[Samba] How to set account lockout policy

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Aug 26 01:06:04 UTC 2018

On Sat, 2018-08-25 at 21:51 +0530, Vivek Patil via samba wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Please somebody help me, I tried this using UI (RSAT) also tried on
> samba-tool (samba-tool domain passwordsettings set
> --account-lockout-threshold="2"). But clients are not blocking after 2 or
> more unsuccessful attempts. I am using samba 4.3.9-Ubuntu.

While this feature has been part of Samba since 4.2 i would strongly
recommend an upgrade, ideally to 4.8 or 4.9 when released.  Only
configuration via samba-tool is supported (rather than via GPOs) in the
version you run and is generally it is easier to handle this way
anyway.

Ensure you have sensible values for all the parameters per:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_4.2_Features_added/changed#Bad_Password_Lockout_in_the_AD_DC

Andrew Bartlett