[Samba] Samba fileserver member corrupt smb.ldb after joining 4.8.4 Samba DC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Aug 25 04:12:42 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-08-24 at 20:54 +0200, Waishon via samba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to join a samba-fileserver to a 4.8.4 Domain Controller. Both
> are installed from the Debian Unstable Sources.
> I've setup some scripts that allows me to provision the latest
> samba-version for testing purposes on two VMs. The following configs where
> working absolutly fine when provisioning a Samba-DC version 4.7.3 and I was
> able to do profile roaming, but since the DC is version 4.8.4 the following
> error occours:
>
> But when trying to access this share Windows gives a permission denied,
> altough the permissions are the same as in the working version 4.7.4.
>
> I found out that samba-tool ntacl get /srv/profiles gives the following
> error:
> pdb backend samba_dsdb:tdb:///var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb did not
> correctly init (error was NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL)
> PANIC (pid 1076): pdb_get_methods: failed to get pdb methods for backend
> samba_dsdb:tdb:///var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb

These parts of samba-tool were written with the assumption that they
are running on an AD DC, so when they are run on the fileserver they
get very upset.

However, they probably did work in the past before some recent
optimisations, so that is a bug.  Please file one in bugzilla, I've
sent you an invite.

Andrew Bartlett