[Samba] Is there a limit on Number of users connecting share

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Aug 21 07:45:30 UTC 2018

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 09:16:22 +0530
Amit via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> > On 8/20/2018 11:32 AM, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> >> On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 14:37:32 +0530
> >> Amit via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> >> That doesn't answer the question, it just confirms what is already
> >> know. What are the other machines in ? A workgroup, an NT4-style
> >> domain, or an AD domain.
>
> Other Machines are standalone boxes. Standalone workstations.

I can now see why all your users use the same username to connect to
the share, it is because of the very reason that workgroups went away.
Once you get past about 10 computers and users, workgroups get
unmanageable, you have, by your own admission, over 200 users.

Are you mad, or do you just like hard work ?

I have looked after what I thought was a large workgroup (8 computers
and 20 users) and it was hard work, but it pales into insignificance
when compared with yours

Can I suggest you consider setting up a Samba Active Directory domain,
I can assure you it will be easier to administrate.

Also, looking at your email address, it is possible you work for
red-hat, if so, red-hat should know better than to run an extremely
large workgroup.

Rowland