[Samba] ldbadd: objectclass top is not a valid objectClass

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Aug 17 16:35:02 UTC 2018

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 13:11:34 -0300
Marcio Vogel Merlone dos Santos via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Trying to add an OU via ldbadd but I get the following error:
>
> root at araucaria:~# ldbadd
> --url=/var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb /root/ou.ldif ERR: No such
> attribute : "objectclass topĀ  is not a valid objectClass in schema"
> on DN OU=A1,DC=ad,DC=a1,DC=ind,DC=br at block before line 4 Add
> failed after processing 0 records root at araucaria:~#
>
> root at araucaria:~# cat /root/ou.ldif
> dn: OU=A1,DC=ad,DC=a1,DC=ind,DC=br
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: organizationalunit
> root at araucaria:~#
>
> DC=ad,DC=a1,DC=ind,DC=br already exists.
>
> Any hint?

I normally use ldbmodify, in which case the ldif syntax would be:

dn: OU=A1,DC=ad,DC=a1,DC=ind,DC=br
changetype: add
objectClass: top
objectClass: organizationalunit

So the command would be:

ldbmodify --url=/var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb /root/ou.ldif

But I wonder if the problem is 'a1', you are trying to add an OU
'OU=A1' and there is already 'DC=a1'

Rowland