[Samba] Dual headed DC

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Fri Aug 17 15:27:45 UTC 2018

> That's a problem to start with, you really are better off with multiple
> DC's. I personally would use at least three in your case, one main DC
> and another DC in each site. This would ensure that you would have
> some fall back if a DC died.

Let's for a moment assume:
_ this is a test setup;
_ my network is very small (read 5-10 clients);
_ I cannot afford 3 DCs;
_ I really want to use internal DNS (unless a showstopper comes up);
_ I know I'm going with a subobtimal setup;
_ I won't come and whine here if the overall thing is slow and/or not so
resilient.

>> In any case, do you have a pointer to some documentation I can use
>> (especially WRT to DNS)?
>
> Yes, it is called the Samba wiki :-)
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page

Thanks.
I think I've read almost it all several times in the past.
However, as I said, checking it once again, I was not able to find the
information I'm looking for.
Could you please point me to the pages I should be looking into in order
to configure an AD DC DNS for use on two subnets?

If I added a second interface to the DC right now, I guess it would
answer equally on both interfaces.

However, I suppose possibly:
_ client 192.168.0.x should be told dc.mydom.it=192.168.0.z, while
_ client 192.168.1.y should be told dc.mydom.it=192.168.1.z.

If this assumption is right, I don't have an idea on how to achieve this
with internal DNS.

Perhaps this assumption is wrong, and the distinction should be made
earlier when the SRV records are queried?
Again, how?

I read in MS documentation about "IP Addresses mapping to Site Names",
but again, you said sites are not strictly required, so I'm trying to
figure out how this would work without them.

  bye & Thanks
	av.