[Samba] Dual headed DC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Aug 17 09:58:32 UTC 2018

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 11:31:01 +0200
Andrea Venturoli via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 8/17/18 11:03 AM, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>
> > I know you say two IP ranges, but are you also thinking of two dns
> > domains ?
>
> No: one DNS domain.
>
> > If you are only going to have one dns domain, then it should work,
> > you will just have to create the required reverse zones and you will
> > probably be better off using Bind9 instead of the internal dns
> > server.
>
> Why?
> I'm using internal DNS right now; why would I be "better off" with
> Bind9? What are the shortcomings of interna DNS?

Once you get past one DC, using Bind9 gives better results.

> > You will also probably be better off using 'sites' with at least
> > one DC in each site.
>
> Is this really needed?
> Consider my "sites" would both be local and I would only have one
> physical server facing both VLANs.

That's a problem to start with, you really are better off with multiple
DC's. I personally would use at least three in your case, one main DC
and another DC in each site. This would ensure that you would have
some fall back if a DC died.

> In any case, do you have a pointer to some documentation I can use
> (especially WRT to DNS)?

Yes, it is called the Samba wiki :-)

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page

Rowland