[Samba] Dual headed DC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Aug 17 09:03:19 UTC 2018

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 10:27:39 +0200
Andrea Venturoli via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Perhaps this question is not new, but I found no document on this
> (possibly I used the wrong search terms?)...
>
> Let's suppose I have an AD domain and I need it to work across two
> VLANs. My DC will have to IP addresses, 192.168.x.z for one VLAN and
> 192.168.y.z for the other one.

I know you say two IP ranges, but are you also thinking of two dns
domains ?
If so, it will not work as you can only have one realm and this is the
dns domain name in uppercase.

If you are only going to have one dns domain, then it should work, you
will just have to create the required reverse zones and you will
probably be better off using Bind9 instead of the internal dns server.
You will also probably be better off using 'sites' with at least one DC
in each site.

> Of course I'll have clients on both nets.
>
> Is this supported, possible at all, or is there any stopper?
> Any caveat?
> How should DNS be configured in order that each client will look for
> the AD on its subnet?

Just point the clients in each 'site' to the DC(s) in the site.

Rowland