[Samba] explorer.exe crashes on security tab access

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Aug 16 16:04:10 UTC 2018

On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 17:34:01 +0200
Kacper Wirski via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I've noticed myself similiar issue.
>
> Windows 10 (v 1803) - window with security tab open crashes on
> certain files (yes, just the window, not whole OS). Just before crash
> i see unresolved SID which looks like nothing I know (doesn't look
> like domain SID - maybe local user SID from samba member server?).
> All files that cause this issue are from any of the samba servers.

I will try with a Win 10 machine, but, 'local user SID' ? A local user
on a Samba Unix domain member will either be a Windows user with a
uidNumber (in which case it will be the domain SID) or it will be a
local Unix user and there will not be a SID.
I wonder if the 'unresolved SID' could be one of the Well Known SIDs ?

> Same files I can vew and edit "security" tab no problem on older
> micrososft OS (win 2012 r2 server or windows 7).

Good to know.

> I have samba 4.8.3 DC's.
>
> I didn't dig too much into it, so I can't help, other than confirm,
> that there is an issue with security tab under specific circumstances.

The thing is, without knowing what the 'specific circumstances' are, it
is hard to fix the problem, is it any file/folder or just a specific
type e.g. .xls

Rowland