[Samba] Group Policy Permissions

Michal Sládek michal at sladkovi.eu
Wed Aug 15 18:06:02 UTC 2018

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2018 18:34:58 +0200
> Michal Sládek via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> > > <samba at lists.samba.org> :

> -------

> > > That is exactly the reason why I would expect computer
> > > configuration group policy to work with Domain Computers group.
> > >
> > > But your note inspired me to make another test. I changed Security
> > > Filtering from Domain Computers group to a computer account, in my
> > > case WINMGMT$ (AD\WINMGMT$). And the policy started to work which
> > > really makes me crazy. What is the difference? Winmgmt computer is
> > > a domain member and so the member of Domain Computers group.
> > >
> > > Now I really don't understand the behavior. The group policy is
> > > linked to the whole domain, I didn't create any custom OU...
> > >
> > > Michal
> > >

> > Does anybody have any suggestion, why group policies related to
> > computer configuration work when Security Filtering is set to
> > Authenticated Users or computer account but don't work when Security
> > Filtering is set to Domain Computers group? I would really like to
> > know, whether this is bug in Samba code or in my brain...
> >
> > Michal
>
> You don't seem to want accept what I have told you, so I found you yet
> another webpage:
>
> https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29018822/Been-tes
> ting-with-a-GPO-to-deploy-a-certificate-with-a-TEST-OU-How-w
> ould-I-apply-it-to-Production-so-that-all-machines-reecive-the-GPO.html
>
> Rowland

I really appreciate your effort to help me, I just don't understand
suggested solution.

My group policy is related to computer configuration, not user
configuration. Authenticated Users include both users and computers (once
authenticated) so they unnecessarily include users. That's why I would like
to use Domain Computers group instead (just to be more restrictive).
MS16-072 states: " After MS16-072 is installed, USER group policies are
retrieved by using the computer's security context." I suppose that
COMPUTER group policies are retrieved by computer's security context too.
That's why I expect replacing Authenticated Users with Domain Computers to
work. But they don't:-(

My computer accounts are placed in the default Computers folder.
My group policy is linked to the domain root.
I checked SYSVOL permissions and permissions of underlying folders.
Everything is readable for Authenticated Users (so computer account should
be able to access it after successfull authentication).
Everything works when I replace Domain Computers with appropriate computer
account (Why? What is the differennce between setting permission to a group
or to a specific group member?)

I really apologize if I miss something obvious. I just don't get it.

Michal