[Samba] error netbios aliases

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Aug 15 07:17:11 UTC 2018

On Wed, 15 Aug 2018 11:08:23 +0430
richard russell via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> hello
>
> My windows client is a an ldap server member with an example.com
> domain.

If you are referring to the smb.conf below, then, no it isn't. That
smb.conf is from a standalone server, there is absolutely no ldap
involved.

> When we try to connect to the samba server, shared folders are visible
> correctly, but it's not possible to connect users.

You should be able to connect, but only as the guest user 'nobody',
unless your users do exist on the Samba server, but with a different or
no password.

> my smb.conf
>
> [global]
> workgroup = WORKGROUP
> netbios name = hpds
> security = user
> map  to guest  = Bad  User
> dns proxy  = no
> server string = %h server
> log level = 0
> max log size = 10000
> load printers = no
> passdb backend  = tdbsam
> encrypt passwords = true
> create mask = 0777
> directory mask = 0777
> wide links = no
> unix extensions = yes
> guest account = nobody
> local master = yes
> time server = no
> wins support = yes
> ntlm auth = no
> domain logons = no
> netbios aliases = mynet13, Net23
> include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.myNAS
> bind interfaces only = yes
> include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.user1

That is not the whole smb.conf, what is in the 'include' files ?
Also, why have you got 'bind interfaces only = yes' without actually
specifying which interfaces ?

> other clients that are not domain members can not connect to the
> server after this error. However, Before connecting this client,  all
> communication was done correctly.

Please define 'can not connect', as I said it is a standalone server,
so they should be able to connect.

> After the netbios aliases removal the configuration file for the
> connection was established correctly.
>
> Please explain why this error occurred and how can I fix this error
> without removing this option.

I think you need to give us more info, at the start of your post, you
mention ldap, do you have another Samba server running as a PDC ?

Rowland