[Samba] Updating Samba

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Aug 13 08:44:35 UTC 2018

Try it like this.

Steps for samba 4.8.x on Ubuntu 14.04

# install basic build tools
apt-get install dpkg-dev build-essential make automake

# use the build depends from ubuntu's package as base.
apt-get build-dep samba

# Install the extra packages you need for building samba on ubuntu 14.04.
apt-get install pkg-config xsltproc python-dev gnutls28-dev libacl1-dev libpam0g-dev
/.configure

'configure' finished successfully (1m10.512s)

And now build samba. ;-)

Please note, the get you to build samba, i've not tested these myself.
I do really advice you go upgrade to ubuntu 18.04 and then install/upgrade samba.
And the exra bonus then is, you can use my Debian stretch packages on ubuntu 18.04.

And other way is, use the ubuntu 18.04 source, get that version and use that.
The side note here is, you need to change the debian/control file so the needed sources and versions of these match.

Greetz,

Louis