[Samba] Programmatically Retrieve Current Stable Version

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Aug 13 07:47:18 UTC 2018

Hai,

I use, this to get the latest versions from the samba site.
wget -q https://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/ -O - | awk -F"href=\"" '{ print $2 }'| cut -d"\"" -f1 | egrep -v "/|asc|FTP|latest|=|COPY|READ|DOWNLOAD" | sort|uniq | tail -n1

Results in :
samba-4.8.3.tar.gz

Set -n1 to -n2 to see 4.7 also or -n3 to see 4.6.x

I also suggest you look also at.
https://salsa.debian.org/samba-team/samba/blob/master/debian/README.source.md
This one is updated to 4.8. Debian Dev Mathieu did some very good work here for the git instructions.

If you look at :
https://packages.debian.org/sid/samba  you wil see 4.8.2.

If you look at the git tree, you will that 4.8.3 is already imported in the debian git tree.
Its just not in experimental, my debian 4.8.3 package are based on the debian git 4.8.3.

Greetz,

Louis