[Samba] Programmatically Retrieve Current Stable Version

John Clendenen john at dotdigital.digital
Sat Aug 11 00:58:38 UTC 2018

I am writing an update script for Samba (compiled from source) and I am
wondering how best to programmatically get the latest release version
number.

I know that https://download.samba.org/pub/samba/samba-latest.tar.gz exists,
but I would like to get the version number to compare to smbd -V, so that
it can quietly ignore if Samba is already up to date.

My currently solution is to incrementally prod at
https://download.samba.org/pub/samba/stable/samba-4.X.X.tar.gz, but that’s
obviously not ideal.

Please let me know if there is a better, accepted way to about this.

Thank you for all your hard work. I am looking forward to the 4.9 release.