[Samba] Bind 9.12.x support status

Taner Tas taner76 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 14:31:55 UTC 2018

On Fri, 03 Aug 2018 12:28:38 +1200
Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2018-08-02 at 22:37 +0300, Taner Tas wrote:
> > > Nobody has looked into it yet.  Likely just an extra build rule
> > > required, I would need to see the 9.11 and 9.12 DLZ header files to
> > > check.
> > >
> > > Aaron Haslett (CC'ed) may be able to help once he fights past the other
> > > BIND9 issues he is looking at.
> > >
> > > Andrew Bartlett
> >
> > Thanks for response. I actually looked it myself. Since there is no
> > DLZ ABI changes since 9.11, I reckon as it would be easy as making
> > "python/samba/provision/sambadns.py" aware of Bind 9.12 will do the
> > job without any hassle.
> >
> > Any extra build routine for 9.12 will do things complicated
> > without a sensible reason. I prepared a patch and tested it locally.
> > It seems it just works fine during provision and as a dns backend.
> >
> > Patch attached.
>
> Thanks for comfirming that.  That said, I would prefer the extra 9.12
> (identical) .so from the build system just because otherwise I'll spend
> my days telling folks it will work when they ask why it loads 9.11 into
> 9.12.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Thanks. I want to notice that, you'll follow the same routine for 9.13
that seems ABI remains same, and maybe for other next releases. So, this is
right time for decide which strategy you will follow.

As myself, I opt for simplicity, extra build routine may added only when
really needed. By this way, we are able to follow ABI changes with each
separate "dlopen" line in named.conf.dlz. This is just my thought as an
user. As developers, you are the ones who's going to deal with all odds
afterwards.

I can send a patch for build extra dlz module for 9.12. I can send it if you
interested.

Regards.
--
Taner Tas <taner76 at gmail.com>