[Samba] Fwd: Restrict local Storage use and Restrict web Access via any Browser via Group Policy on Windows Desktops

Roy Eastwood spindles7 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 12:02:58 UTC 2018

> Hi ,
>

> Need to see if it is possible to do
>
>   * Restrict local Storage use - Means how to restrict via group policy
>     so that logon user in Samba AD will not be able to save any files on
>     local storage of C: of D: drives . He can save on mapped Drive (
>      From Samba File Server ) .
>   * Restrict web Access via any Browser via Group Policy
>

> We have used samba-4.8.3 and windows version is win 7 , win 8 and window
> 10 .
>

> We have tested "web policy " on win2k and found working but same policy
> is not working on other mentioned versions.
>
> Require help in getting some pointers to see if this is possible via
> Group Policy .

You can hide the C: & D: drives with group policy:

User Configuration | Policies | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | File Explorer |
Hide These specified drives in My Computer.

By default you can select A & B, C only, D only, A B & C, A B C and D or all drives.
(You can edit the template file to be able to specify just C: and D: - see here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/231289/using-group-policy-objects-to-hide-specified-drives )

However, this won't prevent the user saving files to these drives by specifying the path explicitly, it just hides them in File Explorer.

To prevent access to these drives, then the "Prevent Access to drives from My Computer" policy (in the same branch as the one above)
may be used as well.

To restrict web access, a web search will provide some answers, such as:
https://www.gypthecat.com/how-to-block-internet-access-with-group-policy

HTH,

Roy Eastwood