[Samba] Louis' Debian install notes/Ubuntu 18.04 howto now on github.

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Aug 3 09:52:51 UTC 2018

On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 11:37:27 +0200
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> But these are online for almost a year now...  ;-)
>
> https://github.com/thctlo/samba4/tree/master/howtos

They certainly are, just a 'bit' hidden and because I know what I am
doing, I forgot about them ;-)

> The only thing is these are not useing "my" builded packages but the
> original debians. I'll update these somewhere today or next week also
> with the 4.8 parts added.
>
> Basicly its, follow the howtos until you need to install samba.
> And just before that, run this.
>
> echo "deb http://apt.van-belle.nl/debian stretch-samba48 main contrib
> non-free" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/van-belle.list wget
> -O - http://apt.van-belle.nl/louis-van-belle.gpg-key.asc | apt-key
> add - apt update -y apt-cache policy samba # to check it.
>
> And this line:
> > > Its online, i suggest, install 2 servers,
> Was not finished.
> i suggest, install 2 servers, for a test.
>
> Do you own samba install, on you preffered linux os, does not matter,
> what you want. Now, install also a server by following my howtos from
> the start.

The thing is, just how basic does a howto have to be ?
If you can install an OS, you should be able to follow the Samba wiki
and, as I keep saying, if you do not understand something, say so and
I will try to alter it, so you do.

> Run some test, i'll bet, you wil notice my setup is running smoother,
> not only samba but your whole system. Try it, and if you find
> improvements, post them/change-add the on github.

I don't know if you are aware, but Samba is moving to git-lab instead
of git-hub

Rowland