[Samba] Can't write to a samba share mounted as an AD user

pisymbol pisymbol at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 18:33:10 UTC 2018

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Eric Altman via samba <samba at lists.samba.org
> wrote:

> Are the default ACLs set on the share in question? 'getfacl .’ In the root
> of the share.

[admin at outerdrive Public]# getfacl .
# file: .
# owner: admin
# group: administrators
user::rwx
user:admin:rwx
user:guest:---
group::rwx
group:everyone:r-x
mask::rwx
other::rwx
default:user::rwx
default:user:admin:rwx
default:user:guest:---
default:group::rwx
default:group:everyone:r-x
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

> Sounds like files are being created by a user with the proper permissions
> but then are being assigned permissions as part of the creation process
> that denies write access.

This is probably related to Rowland's comments about samba not knowing who
the firetruck is creating the file. That'd be my guess.

> Also, I don’t know what qnap_macea does exactly… the ‘ea’ strikes me as
> obviously handling extended attributes. I’m used to stacking ‘vfs_fruit’
> into ‘vfs_streams_xattr’ instead.
>
> I’ve also found streams_depot to be incredibly buggy with permissions in
> the past. Can you check to see that the ‘shareroot/.streams’ exists and has
> not been over-written with the same permissions as the smb users for the
> share?

I don't have a .streams director/file anywhere?

> I’m sure there is more. That is a very complex smb.conf

I agree with Rowland. It is pretty darn silly if you ask me.

-aps