[Samba] Samba share migration - looking for advices

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 21:16:52 UTC 2018

Are all the users connecting from Windows only or do you have Linux
clients ?     If all the clients are Windows only that should make
things a lot simpler.

Last year I went through a similar migration.      I had the old domain
(lets call it "CLASSIC")  using Samba 4.x domain controllers in
"classic/NT4" mode.  I had a new AD domain with Win 2012 R2 server DC-
lets call this domain "NEWAD."    This had to support both windows and
linux clients.   I had already created all the users as well as key
groups in the new domain.    I needed an AD domain to support MS
Exchange and domain trusts between AD and Samba just did not work reliable.

In my case, I moved my samba file servers (and windows servers, and
linux clients, and windows clients)   from the classic domain to the new
domain, rather than setup new servers.     However I did setup test
samba systems in the new domain to work out the config and resolve bugs
in advance.   You may need to give yourself a few weeks for testing.

If you only have windows clients then you could probably bypass the SSSD
config by updating /etc/nsswitch.conf with

     passwd:        files winbind
     group:          files winbind

My samba servers are solaris so sssd is not used.

You may want to use the rsync command for copying files  from server to
another.  This shd preserve permissions and also allows you to do
incremental updates.   Incremental updates are great if the initial copy
does not complete, or if you need to do some of the copying during the
week and then have a very short downtime to switch which is the
"official" machine for that data.    I had installed l unix services on
the AD controller in the new domain, which let me set the  userID and
groupID numbers to match those in the old domain.   That hugely reduce
the number of file permissions I had to fix afterwards.   You also need
to make sure that you set a GroupID number for the "Domain Users" group
and that that is everyones default group.      If you are using idmap_ad
for idmapping this may not be the case.    I was not.

I have linux clients in my environment.  That adds additional complexity
because you have to make sure that both servers and clients are
configured to use NFS with kerberos.    And you have to make sure the
file permissions are kept consistent between users.

I believe SMB1 vs SMB2 is independent of the domain architecture, unless
your old server is running a really old version of Samba.      I would
set min and max server protocol versions for SMB2.