[Samba] SOA record in Samba Internal DNS

Jeff Dickens jeff at seamanpaper.com
Wed Aug 1 18:18:59 UTC 2018

Hi.  I'm running Sernet Samba 4.7 on Ubuntu 16.

I noticed that when my first DC went away, I had problems.  The SOA record
for the domain still points at that first DC.

I found, in this entry from 2014 (
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2014-August/184301.html) that
"Windows AD servers actually 'lie' about the SOA record, and always say
that it points to themselves. So in a native microsoft AD network,
regardsless of what the SOA actually is in the database, a DC always
returns itself as SOA."

So how should this be handled now?  Do I need to manually keep track of
which DC I want to reference with the SOA record, or is there a better way ?

--
[image: Seaman Paper]
Jeff Dickens – IT Manager

Seaman Paper Company of Massachusetts, Inc.
35 Wilkins Rd, Gardner MA 01440

T:978-958-0547 - - -
www.seamanpaper.com

For internal IT Support visit seamanpaper.freshdesk.com