[Samba] Louis; re:your repo and Ubuntu 18.04

lingpanda101 lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 12:20:33 UTC 2018

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 12:34:28 -0700
> Gregory Sloop via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
** SNIP **

> Rather than upgrading the in-place DC's you'd might simply spin up a
> new DC join it to the domain, and then migrate everything [roles]
> etc? Is there any downside to doing that?
> No. it is probably the best way to do it.
>

> Rowland

I see this mentioned on the list about creating a new DC and migrating
everything over vs. an in place upgrade. I would expect this practice to
be detrimental to the rid pool. I would expect Samba to behave the same
as a Microsoft DC. Once you demote and remove a DC, it's rid's are lost
and can never be allocated.  This may be trivial with small networks,
but with larger ones greater care has to be considered when choosing an
in place vs. migration I expect.

On a side note all my DC's starting with Samba 4.0 has been on Ubuntu
and doing an in place upgrade without fail. I also maintained my use of
Ubuntu because of LTS. I don't do unattended upgrades however.

- James