[Samba] 4.2.14 (or newer) support "Windows for Workgroups 3.1a"?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Apr 30 18:57:32 UTC 2018

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 20:32:26 +0200
Andrea Baldoni via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 05:04:29PM +0100, Rowland Penny via samba
> wrote:
>
> Hello Rowland.
>
> > I had to read this several times to understand it, then a few more
> > because I didn't believe it.
>
> Well. In the industrial environment you may find everything ranging
> from CPM-86 onwards... old things talk via RS-232 or 422, the LAN
> equipped are regarded as "modern". In general all are non-upgradable
> closed systems.

I understand about CNC, nobody thinks about the builtin PC going
obsolete before the machine wears out, so you end up a machine that is
virtually obsolete.

> > Firstly, I think that you haven't got a PDC, you have an AD DC, the
> > 'windows 2008 PDC' bit gave that away ;-)
>
> Sorry, I am not a windows sysadm and I lack of correct terminology; I
> am not even sure if it was a 2008 or something else actually.

Don't worry about it, your post was written in such a way that it made
it obvious what you had, quite a lot posts aren't so obvious and a PDC
is quite different from an AD DC ;-)

> > You then want to use something that is clagged on top of DOS 6.22
> > and get that to talk to AD, something that really doesn't understand
> > domains (the hint is in what it is called)
>
> It cannot understand the domain and authenticate over it, but this is
> not a problem as the WfWg doesn't export any folder and nothing
> connects to it.
>
> I need the 3.11 be able to access a folder exported by something else
> and, with stability issues, it's working with windows 7/10 pro and it
> was working already before I replaced the windows server with a samba
> one... but I would really like not to have a machine-in-the-middle
> and have the samba serve those data instead. There are other reasons,
> but a good one is the presence of much more powerful debug
> instruments on samba to diagnose the instability.

Do you need the Samba machine to talk to a lan ?
If not, then follow the good advice you have already been given and use
the AD DC as a standalone machine.
If it does, then creating a VM to run a Unix domain member in, would be
a good idea.

> > Can you post your smb.conf from the Samba DC
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>         interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8 br0
>         bind interfaces only = yes
>         workgroup = WORKGROUP
>         realm = MYDOMAIN.COM
>         netbios name = SERVER
>         server role = active directory domain controller
>         server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc,
> drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>         dns forwarder = 127.0.0.1

You seem to be using Bind9 for the dns server, so you don't need the
'dns forwarder' line, it should be in the bind configuration.

>         acl allow execute always = true
>         lanman auth = yes
>
> [netlogon]
>         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/mydomain.com/scripts
>         read only = No
>
> [sysvol]
>         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
>         read only = No
>
> [profiles]
>         path = /home/samba/profiles
>         read only = No
>         force create mode = 0600
>         create mask = 0600
>         force directory mode = 0700
>         directory mask = 0700
>
> [pubblica]
>         comment = Area pubblica
>         path = /home/samba/pubblica
>         read only = No
>         force create mode = 0660
>         create mask = 0660
>         force directory mode = 0770
>         directory mask = 0770
>
> ..other shares
>
> Andrea

Sorry but this is a DC and all the 'force' lines etc do not work on a
DC.

Rowland