[Samba] 4.2.14 (or newer) support "Windows for Workgroups 3.1a"?

Andrea Baldoni aba004a31 at ermione.com
Mon Apr 30 18:32:26 UTC 2018

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 05:04:29PM +0100, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

Hello Rowland.

> I had to read this several times to understand it, then a few more
> because I didn't believe it.

Well. In the industrial environment you may find everything ranging from
CPM-86 onwards... old things talk via RS-232 or 422, the LAN equipped are
regarded as "modern". In general all are non-upgradable closed systems.

> Firstly, I think that you haven't got a PDC, you have an AD DC, the
> 'windows 2008 PDC' bit gave that away ;-)

Sorry, I am not a windows sysadm and I lack of correct terminology; I am not
even sure if it was a 2008 or something else actually.

> You then want to use something that is clagged on top of DOS 6.22 and
> get that to talk to AD, something that really doesn't understand
> domains (the hint is in what it is called)

It cannot understand the domain and authenticate over it, but this is
not a problem as the WfWg doesn't export any folder and nothing connects to it.

I need the 3.11 be able to access a folder exported by something else and,
with stability issues, it's working with windows 7/10 pro and it was working
already before I replaced the windows server with a samba one... but I would
really like not to have a machine-in-the-middle and have the samba serve
those data instead. There are other reasons, but a good one is the presence of
much more powerful debug instruments on samba to diagnose the instability.

> Can you post your smb.conf from the Samba DC

# Global parameters
[global]
        interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8 br0
        bind interfaces only = yes
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        realm = MYDOMAIN.COM
        netbios name = SERVER
        server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
        idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
        dns forwarder = 127.0.0.1
        acl allow execute always = true
        lanman auth = yes

[netlogon]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/mydomain.com/scripts
        read only = No

[sysvol]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
        read only = No