[Samba] sysvol files - 'The data area passed to a system call is too small'

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Apr 30 07:41:06 UTC 2018

Hai,

>From the github example.
I did see:     _extra = { "--numeric-ids" }

Have you check if the id's are the same on all servers, not only the default ones, but of the users/groups you need.

In multi DC setup,
- Run on all DC's servers net cache flush.
-  Stop both dc's and copy : /var/lib/samba/private/idmap.ldb ( Debian location)
for the DC with FSMO to the other DC.
Not 100% sure its still needed but i does not harm if you do it.

And now follow these steps.
https://www.spinics.net/lists/samba/msg147788.html

IF ... You need extra groups, for other things etc in sysvol. ( not advice, create a new share for that )
Make sure that this group has a GID assigned, that makes sure the SID wil be the same on both DC's.
Policies ant extra groups, make sure your COMPUTER/USERS are allowed.

And test this from within windows and NOT linux, just because ..
The first time you set your rights, you MUST do this from withing windows.
At least the works for me the best because what you see might not be what you get,
in case of rights/acls, if you set it from within linux

Last, i you just applied GPO setttings, reboot the computer 2-3x, some policies might need that ( often computer settings )
Why 2-3x reboot.
Reboot 1, its sets the settings,
Reboot 2, it applies settings, but some need a reboot first.
Reboot 3, its now all applied.

I hope this helps you guys a bit more.

Greetz,

Louis