[Samba] wiki suggestions, part 2

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Apr 26 17:39:48 UTC 2018

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 18:29:39 +0200
Klaus Hartnegg via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Is that really so difficult? How about these two commands:
>
> pdbedit -Lv  | grep "User SID" | sort | uniq -d
> net groupmap list | cut -d- -f8 | sort | uniq -d
>
> Is it enough when these both return nothing?
> Maybe I misunderstand it.
>
> ---
>
> The sample upgrade command creates this error message:
>    error: no such option: --use-xattrs
> It does work when the option --use-xattrs is left out.
>
> ---
>
> The command "samba-tool domain classicupgrade" complains about
> missing file wins.dat.
> Should that file be copied from the old server as well?
> If so the command for that would probably be:
> cp
> -p /usr/local/samba.PDC/var/locks/wins.dat /usr/local/samba.PDC/dbdir/
>
> ---
>
> The description of doing classicupgrade on a new server should
> mention that /etc/passwd and /etc/group must contain the samba users.
> Yes it is obvious, but it should be mentioned.
>
> ---
>
> I have no idea what this sentence wants to tell me:
>
> "It used to be thought that setting the Unix ID to the windows RID
> was acceptable, time has proven otherwise. If you have users and
> groups that use the Windows RID as their Unix ID, you should consider
> changing these before carrying out the upgrade. You should also
> consider removing any Unix IDs from the 'Well known SIDs', except for
> the 'Domain Users' group."
>
> Is this referring to "net groupmap" ?
> That lists in my case more than just Domain Users below 1000.
> It also shows 512 as Domain Admins, and 514 as nobody.
> Is this a problem?
>
> ---
>
> "If any of your users have a RID less than '1000' and you wish these
> to exist in the new AD domain, you will need to change their RID, see
> below for how to do this."
>
> How about this command:
> pdbedit -Lv | grep SID | grep -v Group | cut -d- -f8
>
> Does it do the right thing? Then it could be added as example.
>
> ---
>
> The description of classicupgrade should tell that doing so affects
> the choice of workgroup name:
> Provisioning sets the workgroup to the domain, which is the first
> part of the realm.
> Classicupgrade keeps the old workgroup name from the PDC.
> It affects the login names, they are workgroup\user instead of
> domain\user.
>
> ---
>
> The last line of the output of classicupgrade claims that the password
> for administrator is set to the password of root.
> This is not true, the administrator accounts keeps its password.
>
> ---
>
> And one unrelated note:
> The last three "restrict" lines on
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Time_Synchronisation
> could probably be replaced with one line "restrict source".
> And "mask 255.255.255.255" appears to be the default, is thus not

Thanks Klaus, I will read through them thoroughly  and amend the wiki
as appropriate, but one jumped out at me:

The description of classicupgrade should tell that doing so affects the
choice of workgroup name:
Provisioning sets the workgroup to the domain, which is the first part
of the realm.
Classicupgrade keeps the old workgroup name from the PDC.
It affects the login names, they are workgroup\user instead of
domain\user.

When you provision a domain, it will set the netbios domain name to the
left hand part of the dns domain/realm unless you add
'--domain=DOMAIN' to the provision command. 'workgroup' is another way
of saying 'netbios domain name', so 'workgroup\user' means exactly
the same as 'domain\user'

Rowland