[Samba] [OT?] Group Policy, drive maps and Cliend Site Caching...

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Apr 25 08:01:40 UTC 2018

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 09:22:33 +0200
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hai marco,
>
> I've looked for a good example.
> http://www.mustbegeek.com/how-to-map-network-drive-using-group-policy/
>
> Only, i say use \\FQDN\share not \\HOSTNAME\share
>
> Basicly, the above site says, ( the importent part )
>
> Note that drive maps actions are all based on the drive letter.
> Action ?Create? and ?Update? will not work if the drive letter
> already in use. In this case, the action ?Delete? or ?Replace? might
> be helpful.
>
> And key here is, dont use reconnect also for the user home.
>
> In that example, in Global set driver letter which everyone used in
> the drive mappings Set the user drive mappings on the Sites and
> enforce these.
>
> Windows caching, maybe these are helpfull for you.
> https://jonimattila.wordpress.com/2017/04/06/windows-10-folder-redirection-and-offline-files/
>
> https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/help/942960/how-to-move-the-client-side-caching-csc-folder-to-a-new-location-in-wi

Hi Louis, I think you missed this: current configuration (Samba, NT mode)

But I think you are on the right lines, using the same drive letters
for both sites is asking for trouble.

However the bigger problem is that the OP is using an NT4-style domain,
he really needs to investigate the direction Microsoft is moving or
one day he might just find that whilst he has a fully working PDC,
none of his windows clients will talk to it.

Better to jump ship before it sinks.

Rowland