[Samba] Speedup windows client [was] What is the maximum speed for download from a samba share

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Apr 25 07:56:58 UTC 2018

As counter example.
My slowest server, AMD E350 2 core, max 1.6Gz.
On 1Gb lan, disk 2x 5400rpm software raid 1 + 1 ssd.

Copy Speed 115Mb/s as in max 1Gb bandwith, from a win7 and win10 pc to the raid1.

File sizes.
100Mb+ get max 115Mb/s 		to a 4MB blocksized partition.
1-10mb files ,max 90-115Mb/s 	 to a 1MB blocksized partition.
0.0-1mb files  ,max 60-100Mb/s to a 4k blocksized partition.

I get these speeds while im watching my kodi. ;-)  Samba 4.6.x on ubuntu 17.10
One note here, i use kernel 4.16.1 from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/?C=M;O=D
Thats mostly for kodi and the amd GPU driver, but i do notice bit better perfomance with these higher kernels.

Is the Lenovo Thinkpad T520 with Windows 7, connecting over Wifi?
Because on wifi, even if i set my laptop 3 meters from the AP, i dont get max.
About 1/2 the speeds, if lucky 3/4 the above speeds.
Test you wifi with inSSIDer, optimze the chanels.
Gave me about +25% speed at home on the wifi.

> one of the  virtual machine is the samba VM connected via VPN
> Looking to the cpu usage of this VM ist nearly zero during downloads.
Did you tweak your MTU sizes?
With things like :
iptables -A PREROUTING --match policy --pol ipsec --dir in -i eth+ -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -m tcpmss --mss 1361:1536 -j TCPMSS --set-mss 1360
Maybe disable Path MTU discovery to prevent packet fragmentation problems. Helps alo  (  net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc=1  )

Last, login on the proxymod monitor IRQ use, if you have extra cards in the server, you might have one the using a "shared IRQ"
I make sure, if possible, that my NIC have there own irq set and not a shared one.

And can you post your smb.conf ? That might help also.

Greetz,

Louis