[Samba] 4.3.11-Ubuntu fail to add DC to a AD domain

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Apr 25 07:41:52 UTC 2018

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 23:49:41 +0200
Jakub Kulesza via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I want to get down to the root cause of the issue I am having with my
> new DC in my domain. I have followed some tutorials on the internet
> and basically do not get the results.
>
> I have 1 old DC, that is providing the AD domain for the whole local
> network. I wanted to add another one. Both are Ubuntus 16.04, fully
> updated.
>
> I have followed this
> https://www.tecmint.com/join-additional-ubuntu-dc-to-
> samba4-ad-dc-failover-replication/ but basically most howtos discuss
> this the same way.

Yes and most of them get it wrong ;-)
In this instance, it is mostly correct, just one thing jumps out.
Adding the 'winbind' lines to smb.conf is pointless, they do nothing on
a DC.

I suggest you read this:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Samba_DC_to_an_Existing_Active_Directory

>    - samba-tool drs showrepl on the old, existing DC (yes, it's named
> pdc)

Yes and it shouldn't be ;-)

I would wait until tomorrow, download 18.04 and then use this, it will
get you Samba 4.7.6 and this should fix your problem.

Rowland