[Samba] Samba 4 - ISO-8859-15 filenames not listed while browsing

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Apr 24 18:30:22 UTC 2018

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 06:53:52PM +0200, Ali SIMON via samba wrote:
>  Hello,
>
> I have an issue with a german application that generates files with
> iso-8859-15 encoded filenames.
>
> I have 2 Linux Suse servers, both connected to the same NAS filesystem, and
> sharing it via Samba.
>
> "unix charset" in smb.conf set to default utf-8
> LC_CTYPE & LANG locale are set to en_US.UTF-8
>

> - First server is Samba-3.6.3 (SLES11 SP4, kernel 3.0.101-107-default) :
> those files are accessible from windows/smbclient, with UCS2 characters (ie
> "\344" for "รค") being replaced with a "_"
>
> - Second one is Samba-4.6.9 (SLES12 SP2, kernel 4.4.103-6.38-default) :
> those files simply don't show up while browsing.
>

> In any case, log.smdb complains about :
> convert_string_internal: Conversion error: Illegal multibyte sequence
>
> If I change the  "unix charset = iso-8859-15" in the config for Samba4, it
> shows the file while browsing, but then users are reporting that access is
> now very slow (bench method is by compiling a program whose sources are on
> the share).
>
> I've tried various things already, but to no avail.

Well you already enumerated your choices. The filesystem
is reporting 8859-15 encoded filenames, and Samba configured
by default expects utf-8.

Can you add a step that runs iconv over the generated
filenames that converts them to utf-8 ?

If not, setting unix charset = iso-8859-15 works, as
you've found, but smbd must convert the characters.

I doubt that is making your access slow though, as
filename conversion is pretty fast and not usually
something affecting the fast-path.