[Samba] What is the maximum speed for download from a samba share

L A Walsh samba at tlinx.org
Sun Apr 22 02:30:53 UTC 2018

Knut Krüger via samba wrote:
>> Limiting the linux-server's max cpu-speed had
>> the most affect on performance:
>> (limited to 1.6GHz instead of 2.4GHz) (33% limitation)
>>
> The server is equipped with an 6 core / 12 tread 3.6 GHz CPU (Intel Core
> i7-980x   and  a Raid 10 Disk array.
> The cpu is 90% idle (including webserver traffic and mailserver traffic)
> during downloads.

---
    In protocols before cifsV3, only 1 tcp connection was allowed between
a user at workstation and a server.  So multi-cores make no difference.

    When you say "the cpu is 90% idle", you realize that means 10%
busy.  10% * 12 cores = 1.2 cores busy.  That may imply one
core is "pegged".  Though it sounds unlikely even with a 100Mb
network that your cpu is the problem.

    For my testing, I run my test script on cygwin and
"cd" to my home directory on the server (/h) where my
test "files" (character devices) are located (/h/zero and /h/null)

 From there I usually run it with "bin/iotest".  I'll attach
the bash script.  If you find it of any use, great! else, ignore it.
My linux-box has bash-4.4 on it and is currently using a 4.14.0 kernel.

Good luck...don't want to overwhelm, so I'll end here.