[Samba] idmap_ad overlap with domain and sub-domain overlap

Wvu Hpc wvu.hpc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 14:52:12 UTC 2018

Hi Rowland,

Thanks for the help and ideally I would like to get rid of the sub domain
all together but that is probably not going to happen.

So couple comments and please forgive any of my ignorance.

For your second question, all users in the subdomain who have access to the
SAMBA server do have uidNumber set and it matches the uidNumber set in
MASTER.  Since this is the case, would the overlapping ranges be OK?  I saw
this post (
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2016-December/117567.html)
and thought it might indicate it is OK but was not sure?

For 'winbind use default domain = Yes' I thought this would assume the
default domain for ssh logins as being the master since I have "idmap
config MASTER:default = yes".  Appears to work as it allows users to login
without having to specify a domain.  Although, if a user from the SUB
domain logs in they must specify the SUB\user to login.  Is that
incorrect?  If I remove use default = yes, users of MASTER must also
specify their domain during login ... at least that is how it seemed during
testing?

Thanks again!