[Samba] cannot set share ACLs

Klaus Hartnegg hartnegg at gmx.de
Wed Apr 18 14:21:46 UTC 2018

Hi,

Following the wiki page Setting_up_a_Share_Using_Windows_ACLs
windows shows me this error after clicking on Shares:

Disk Management could not start the Virtual Disk Service (VDS) on
'COMPUTER'. This can happen if the remote computer does not support VDS,
or if a connection cannot be established because it was blocked by
Windows Firewall.

Tested on a new provisioned AD-DC server.
The samba server does not have a firewall, Windows only its default.
I can use RSAT tools for configuring DNS, Users, and GPOs.
Accessing shares and setting filesystem ACLs also works.
Only setting share ACLs fails.

Please help me to fix this.
Or maybe it is not necessary? I *can* access shares. Why is this step
even needed?

Klaus