[Samba] [OT?] WINS and network browsing...

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Wed Apr 18 13:43:01 UTC 2018

Sorry, i'm a bit OT but...

Currently i've setup my new AD domain, in the same network of the old
NT domain (both samba, of course), and i'm slowly migrating boxes and
users to the new domain.

Because the network is currently shared with NT and AD domain, the DHCP
server still assign a WINS server to client.

In the PC of the new domain (Win7 pro), if in expolrer i go to
'Network' icon, is empty, and a banner explain me that i've to enable
'network browsing'.

Is normal that in AD 'network browse' is disabled, or simply the
windows boxes need to enable SMB1 to use the wins server?

I'm a bit confused... thanks...