[Samba] Wing's repo, rpms & upgrades

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Wed Apr 18 11:02:33 UTC 2018

Hi Vincent,

> I started using Samba as an AD DC on el7 a few weeks ago. I have some
> questions for others who mights also be using Wing's rpms on el7
> (http://wing-net.ddo.jp/wing).
>
> A) Is there a wiki/issues page for that repo? I could not find any..
>
> B) is that the only repo of samba rpms available for el7/centos7?

You can use the RPM at https://samba.plus from the great folks at SerNet.

Here at Tranquil IT we are porting RPM packages from Fedora to
CentOS7/RH7 for some of our clients. We have a copy of those RPMs on our
wiki at https://dev.tranquil.it/wiki/Samba4 , more specifically in the
https://samba.tranquil.it/centos7/ directory.

By the way, we are compiling using heimdal kerberos and not MIT like it
is configured by the default in the Fedora packages.

If you are a Redhat customer, it would be good to go forward to your
redhat representative to say that you'd be interested in Samba-AD
support by Redhat. The more people will ask for it, the more chance
there is that Samba-AD will be first class citizen in Redhat ecosystem
in the future!

> C) Is there a reason why samba46-4.6.14 is the latest available version?
> Are 4.7.x and 4.8.x not considered stable? -47 and -48 rpms are
> available in the repo but they're not visible in the main tree because
> they're under 'extras' (http://wing-net.ddo.jp/wing/extras/7/x86_64 ).

Early Samba 4.7 had a few issues, but we have been happy with it since
4.7.4. And we have 4.7.6 deployed at almost all of our clients.

Samba 4.8.0 has a bug when doing an "in place" upgrade, there is a patch
for that bug that will be included in 4.8.1, and we are waiting for that
version before starting our upgrade cycle.

> D) How complex is it to update a Samba AD DC to a newer minor version?
> (E.g: 4.6.x to 4.7.x) Is a 'yum update' usually sufficient or are there
> some db actions that are required?

For minor upgrade, you mostly can go forward without much stress. For
major upgrades, it is always better to test an upgrade on a snapshot and
do a dbcheck first. Dbcheck is getting pickier at every major version to
get the best and nicest ldb database for your beloved domain.

Cheers,

Denis

--
Denis Cardon