[Samba] W10 and browse

Harry Jede walk2sun at arcor.de
Tue Apr 17 20:12:45 UTC 2018

Am Samstag, 14. April 2018, 15:20:07 CEST schrieb ToddAndMargo via samba:
> On 04/14/2018 01:04 AM, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 22:31:23 -0700
> >
> > ToddAndMargo via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> Fedora 276, x64
> >>
> >> I just put a Widows Nein, oops Windows Ten computer on
> >> a samba based network.
> >>
> >> Problem: the W-Nein computer can not see any of the other
> >> shares.  You can manually write in the path and it works fine.
Yes. Read this from MS:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-server-version-1709

> >> What did I do wrong?
> >
> > Probably nothing.
> >
> > I keep saying this, but people are not taking it on board, windows
> > is
> > making it harder & harder to connect to anything other than an AD
> > domain or other windows computer.
> > Your problem isn't a Samba problem, it is possibly because windows
> > has disabled SMBv1 (or NTLMv1 as we call it), though it could be
> > something else, try searching the internet on 'windows 10 not
> > browsing network'
> >
> > Rowland
>
> Hi Rowland,
>
> Oh I am certain that it is a Windows Nein problem.   I just
> wonder if anyone in these parts knew of a work around.
May be the workaround is bonjour, avahi, mdns or ws-discovery.

Read this:
https://ioblogblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/21/windows-10-fall-creators-update-and-explorer-network-browsing/

I have a working avahi setup on "Debian GNU/Linux 9.4 (stretch)"
with "Version 4.7.7-Debian" from this repository:
deb http://apt.van-belle.nl/debian stretch-unstable main contrib non-free

and this service file:

# cat /etc/avahi/services/samba.service
<?xml version="1.0" standalone='no'?><!--*-nxml-*-->
<!DOCTYPE service-group SYSTEM "avahi-service.dtd">

<service-group>
  <name replace-wildcards="yes">%h</name>

  <service>
    <type>_smb._tcp</type>
    <port>445</port>
  </service>
</service-group>

Hope this helps.
I have not yet verified the Windows 10 1709 setup.
Takes some days to get it done.

--

Gruss
	Harry Jede