[Samba] Map share based on site?

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Apr 12 08:40:27 UTC 2018

Hai Marco,

You can do this multiple ways. These are some good basics to read
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/musings_of_a_technical_tam/2012/02/13/group-policy-basics-part-1-understanding-the-structure-of-a-group-policy-object/

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/musings_of_a_technical_tam/2012/02/15/group-policy-basics-part-2-understanding-which-gpos-to-apply/
^^ see processing GPO Precedence..  That bit more what your looking for.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/musings_of_a_technical_tam/2012/02/22/group-policy-basics-part-3-how-clients-process-gpos/

Finding the problem points..
http://techgenix.com/Top-10-Reasons-Why-Group-Policy-Fails-to-Apply-Part1/
http://techgenix.com/Top-10-Reasons-Why-Group-Policy-Fails-to-Apply-Part2/
http://techgenix.com/Top-10-Reasons-Why-Group-Policy-Fails-to-Apply-Part3

And a GPO example where the group is use for the drivemappings. I do this (drivemappings) per OU and Groups and computers.
http://www.itingredients.com/how-to-map-drive-using-item-level-targeting-gpo/

! In that example i would change the path of the share.
This picture.
http://www.itingredients.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Map-drive-using-Item-level-targeting-GPO-8.png
Change the location to \\dc.internal.dom.tld\share
Now its accessable from any location, if you have your DNS setup correctly.

The target leveling,can be handy, but not needed, read these, it helps in understanding how GPO works.
Use RSOP.msc on the windows computer to see the resulting GPO settings.

And last the tips you want..
If you have set the GPOs on the OU, look at the processing order.
Just make sure the Site related GPO settings are enforce and preffered.
Use FQDN for your share access.

Test if you can access the \\AD.DOMAIN.TLD  and \\DC.AD.DOMAIN.TLD
In both cases you should be able to enter\use  netlogon and sysvol.

If you have more questions, let us know.

Greetz,

Louis