[Samba] Two Samba 4 AD DC, a VPN

Lea Massiot lmloge at orange.fr
Thu Apr 12 08:30:31 UTC 2018

Hello, hello Rowland,

So the physical configuration is something like below :

+-------------------------------+
server_a
  Samba AD DC
  Domain: mycompany.net
  Subnet: 192.168.1.0/24
  IP    : 192.168.1.2
+-------------------------------+

+-------------------------------+
pc_a_1
  FQDN: pc_a_1.mycompany.net.
  IP:   192.168.1.33
+-------------------------------+

+-------------------------------+
pc_a_2
  FQDN: pc_a_2.mycompany.net.
  IP:   192.168.1.35
+-------------------------------+

Internet, WAN // VPN tunnel

+-------------------------------+
server_b
  Samba AD DC
  Domain: mycompany.net
  Subnet: 192.168.2.0/24
  IP    : 192.168.2.2
+-------------------------------+

+-------------------------------+
pc_b_1
FQDN: pc_b_1.mycompany.net.
IP:   192.168.2.33
+-------------------------------+

+-------------------------------+
pc_b_2
FQDN: pc_b_2.mycompany.net.
IP:   192.168.2.35
+-------------------------------+

rowland> you will probably be better off setting up a one domain forest and
using subnets and sites.

This is indeed what I would like to do.
- one forest
- one domain "mycompany.net"
- one site
- two subnets 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24 separated by a VPN.

On the LAN 192.168.1.0/24, I have a Windows Server with "Active Directory
Sites and Services".
I can see:
Active Directory Sites and Services [server_a.mycompany.net]
Sites
-- Inter-Site Transports
-- Subnets
-- Default-First-Site-Name
---- Servers
------ SERVER_A
-------- NTDS Settings

So, we can say we have:
- one forest
- one site (Default-First-Site-Name)
- Nothing about subnets
- The notion of domain "mycompany.net" on the first line

I can ping "server_b" which is on the other side of the VPN.
I would like its Samba AD DC to belong to this site.
My problem is that it is on the other side of the VPN and I don't know how
to reach it.

Please help. Thank you.
--
Lea