[Samba] Question: Samba and YP-Yellow Pages relation.

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Apr 11 08:26:13 UTC 2018

Hai Fabricio,

> Hello Louis,
> I did all the tests and they worked, but here some questions.
>
> When using the wrapper with samba47, I see the squid tries
> Kerberos, if it doesn't work, it goes for NTLM.
Yes and no, read on you see why i say yes and no..

> If I use the wrapper for a machine that is NOT on a Domain,
> it just fails, which is fine because the credentials don't
> match anything.
Correct, if you want this to work you could try :

auth_param negotiate program /usr/lib/squid/negotiate_wrapper_auth \
    --kerberos /usr/lib/squid/negotiate_kerberos_auth -s GSS_C_NO_NAME \
    --ntlm /usr/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=gss-spnego --domain=NTDOM

Now you dont need the UPN in the DNS. ( ! Its really adviced to have it ) but
you are still trying to auth over kerberos first.
! Do note, the server still needs to be domain joined.

> But If I break the authentication in two, not
> using the wrapper, the NTLM shows a challenge screen asking
> for credentials, which I like it.
Its what you preffer of what you want here. I suggest read :
https://ping.force.com/Support/PingFederate/Integrations/How-to-configure-supported-browsers-for-Kerberos-NTLM
And man ntlm_auth
But the short story here is, avoid ntlm where possible and use kerberos.

> Example:
> #### NEGOTIATE ONLY  KERBEROS AUTHENTICATION ####
> auth_param negotiate program
> /usr/local/libexec/squid/negotiate_kerberos_auth -d -i -s
> HTTP/kontrol243.kontrol.corp at KONTROL.CORP
> auth_param negotiate children 50 startup=20 idle=10
> auth_param negotiate keep_alive on
>
> #### NTLMv2 AUTHENTICATION ONLY - IN CASE KERBEROS DOESNT WORK ####
> auth_param ntlm program /usr/local/bin/ntlm_auth
> --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp
> auth_param ntlm children 30 startup=20 idle=5
> auth_param ntlm keep_alive off
>
> The config above shows a challenge on the browser asking for
> credentials in case the machine is not In the Domain, which is OK.
>
> The config you sent me, doesn't ask for credentials, it just
> fails. Do you know why?
Any error messages? I can't read you mind ... ;-)
Bit of squid logs and windows message helps..

> Other question is: What is the difference between using
> NTLMSSP and GSS-SPNEGO?
> Both worked fine, just didn't understand what is the difference.
You have these auth's :
Negotiate/Kerberos
Negotiate/NTLM
NTLM
BASIC
Now the here, i can try to explain but with all my typos you wont understand it. ;-)
Here i my question on the squid list, read it it wil help you understand.
http://squid-web-proxy-cache.1019090.n4.nabble.com/Negotiate-wrappter-returns-AF-on-Debian-Jessie-td4676735.html
And the related squid pages.
https://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Authentication
https://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/NegotiateAuthentication

> I have also tested the smb4.conf tip you asked:
> winbind enum users = no
> winbind enum groups = no
> It worked too. Here again, what is the difference with yes/no for enum users/groups?
In the end nothing, but the no offloads samba, so its quicker.
When testing set it to yes, so you know it works when done set to no.
The detailed part why, uhm, that more a samba dev to answer.
Its somewhere also on the list, but i did not google for it.

> Thanks Much for the info. I really appreciate it!
Your welkom and no problem..

Greetz,

Louis