[Samba] wiki suggestions

Klaus Hartnegg hartnegg at gmx.de
Tue Apr 10 15:57:54 UTC 2018

Hi,

This is a collection of notes that I took while setting up an AD-DC. I
do not want to edit the Wiki pages myself, without first asking experts
whether my assumptions are correct.

Klaus

----

On page
   Setting_up_Samba_as_an_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller
the section
   Configuring Winbindd on a Samba AD DC
is not necessary, because the same info is also included in the next
section.

----

The page
    https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Libnss_winbind_Links
recommends "uname -i"
but that does not work in Debian because
(it does work in Ubuntu).

The page
    https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Pam_winbind_Link
recommends "uname -m"
(works in Ubuntu as well).

Is there a reason why the first page not also suggests "uname -m"?
Are there Linux distributions where "i" works but "m" does not?

----

The page
    https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configuring_Winbindd_on_a_Samba_AD_DC
has an info-box regarding symbolic links to libnss_winbind.

The page
has the same text, but as bullet point.

Eventhough the info-box is much bigger than the bullet point, I
recommend to make it a bullet point on both pages, because on my first
tries I skipped the info-box, because it is just info, does not look
like a required step.

----

Is the symbolic link to libnss a required step for a AD-DC with no local
users, used only as DC and fileserver? Somehow I still have not found
out why sometimes RSAT works and sometimes not. Maybe libnss is required
for RSAT and I sometimes forget this step.