[Samba] Domain Users group with multiple gid

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Apr 10 14:04:03 UTC 2018

On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 14:46:50 +0100
Clemente Aguiar <ca-mlsamba at arditi.pt> wrote:

> > I don't have that many users and I really want to fix it, and I
> > don't have a problem with fixing file ownership.

If you do change them, you will have to reset ownership of any files &
dirs

> > You say "just remove the uidNumber & gidNumber attributes", does
> > this mean that new IDs will be assigned automatically?

They possibly have been allocated already, but if not, then yes. There
is a bit of a gotcha though, if you have more than one DC, they will
probably get different Unix IDs on each DC.

> > And most important, can you tell me exactly how to do this (remove
> > the uidNumber & gidNumber attributes), i.e what are the commands, I
> > would really appreciate. Like I said in the initial post, I have
> > little knowledge about Samba4.

The easiest way would be to use ldbedit on the DC. Open a terminal and
enter this:

ldbedit -e nano -H /usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb

Replace 'nano' with your favourite editor and
'/usr/local/samba/private' with the path to 'sam.ldb' on your system.

Search for all instances of 'uidNumber' & 'gidNumber' and delete them
all (remove the entire line and close up the gap)

Save and close the editor, your users & groups will get new 'xidNumber'
attributes in idmap.ldb as they connect to AD.

Rowland